About Me

My photo
I have been married to a wonderful man for 19 years. We were blessed with 2 beautiful daughters who are now teenagers. I homeschool my children and work full time outside of my home. I recently opened my Home Business

Saturday, April 2, 2011

April is Autism Awareness Month

What are the symptoms of autism?
The main signs and symptoms of autism involve problems in the following areas:
  • Communication - both verbal (spoken) and non-verbal (unspoken, such as pointing, eye contact, and smiling)
  • Social - such as sharing emotions, understanding how others think and feel, and holding a conversation
  • Routines or repetitive behaviors (also called stereotyped behaviors) - such as repeating words or actions, obsessively following routines or schedules, and playing in repetitive ways
The symptoms of autism can usually be observed by 18 months of age.  There are many possible red flags for autism - behaviors that may be signs or symptoms of autism.  Some features may mean a delay in one or more areas of development, while others may be more typical of autism spectrum disorders.  If you think your child shows red flags for autism, talk to your health care provider.
http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/asd.cfm

Would you recognize autism if you saw it? Chances are, you have seen it, no you didn't recognize. Too often, we judge the parents and the child too quickly. We feel their behavior isn't up to our standards...and sometimes people will make comments like, "If that were my child I would.....". Don't ever say that, because that isn't your child and honestly, you don't know what you would do until you walk that mile in their shoes.  Also, remember this....People with Autism Spectrum Disorder are PERFECT just the way they are because GOD created them like this and He makes NO mistakes!

Please take a moment to watch the video below and share it with your family and friends.


Now that you have watched this, won't you take the time to share it with your family and friends?
Blessings,
Regina

5 comments:

  1. Regina - that is a wonderful post and I so believe that one shouldn't judge! For all you know you could have been that parent and had that child - one should always feel blessed for small mercies (or in this case rather large ones). Thanks a ton for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your post was informative. a social awareness is required for all of us. thanks for sharing..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the signs of autism Regina. I will be sure and share it with my loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Raven! I greatly appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sancheeta! I appreciate you and your comments.

    ReplyDelete